Amibition, Grit and Resilience
Collection of hand-picked snippets on ambition, grit and resilience- the most important traits of successful people.
The American Psychological Association suggests “10 Ways to Build Resilience”, which are:
(1) maintaining good relationships with close family members, friends and others;
(2) to avoid seeing crises or stressful events as unbearable problems;
(3) to accept circumstances that cannot be changed;
(4) to develop realistic goals and move towards them;
(5) to take decisive actions in adverse situations;
(6) to look for opportunities of self-discovery after a struggle with loss;
(7) developing self-confidence;
(8) to keep a long-term perspective and consider the stressful event in a broader context;
(9) to maintain a hopeful outlook, expecting good things and visualizing what is wished;
(10) to take care of one’s mind and body, exercising regularly, paying attention to one’s own needs and feelings and engaging in relaxing activities that one enjoys. Learning from the past and maintaining flexibility and balance in life are also cited.
Six personality traits that are most significant for successful traders:
1. Locus of control – The degree to which a trader believes that the ability to be successful is within his or her control;
2. Maximizing tendency – The degree to which individuals seek optimum outcomes from their decisions, not just outcomes that meet or exceed expectations;
3. Regret susceptibility – The tendency to look back on outcomes of decisions and focus on negative aspects, creating regret;
4. Self-monitoring – People’s tendency to track and control their own thoughts, feelings, and behaviors;
5. Sensation seeking – The degree to which people seek varied and stimulating experience;
6. Type A behavior – The degree to which individuals are driven to achieve.